June 14, 2010

Standing in the Gap

Friday was tough!

I spent the morning and early afternoon inside a courthouse for a reason that nobody should ever have to be in a courthouse. I was lending moral support to a 15 year old girl  who was giving a deposition about how her dad had molested her.

I arrived while the family was in with a family crisis counselor and as I sat in the deserted hallway of the warm, old courthouse, I struggled to wrap my mind around what was happening. As I waited for this brave, young lady and her family to come to the second floor, I prayed to God to help me understand why this was happening: "No child should ever have to do this! Why, Lord?" But I did not receive an answer as to why. What He did tell me was this "I will take their ashes and make them beautiful. I will use them to bring glory to My name." Once again I remembered how limited my understanding is and that His ways are not ours. Then, I heard footsteps.

When I looked up I saw two men approaching the top of the staircase. One was an older gentlemen dressed in a suit--definitely a lawyer. The other was a nice looking man, tan with sandy brown hair. As our eyes met, I gave them a slight smile and suddenly a feeling of sickness washed over me--that is her dad. I had never seen him before and really didn't know what to expect, but somehow--I thought he would look different; demented....psychotic....something other than normal, but I was wrong. I wanted to take my smile back! He didn't deserve it!!! What kind of animal does this to another human being--his own daughter? I could feel the anger start to well and then that Still Small Voice.......

God gently reminded me that this man needs prayer--probably more than anyone. Immediately my heart softened and I began to pray for the softening of his heart so that he may encounter the God of the Universe and live a life that honors Him and the daughter he has hurt so badly.

Friday was tough as I watched this young lady and her mom go through a myriad of emotions and even went through some of my own. I am incredibly honored and humbled that this family is allowing me to stand in the gap for them and travel this road with them; And, I find a peace that surpasses all understanding in knowing that this brave, young lady has a Father who loves her and has great plans for her!

2 comments:

Tanya Ross said...

That is an honor and I am so glad to see the family reaching out. I guess sometimes we have to rember that God gave us free will. We either choose the right way or satans way. Pray that the dad will see Gods way. Love ya

Susan said...

Wow this makes me think really long and hard about what you said about"His ways are n ot always our ways. We all know that and believe it but put in this situation brings a whole new light to this verse. I am learning more and more that I will never understand our creator and that is o.k. becauase it is not for me to understand. Just to trust and have faith.