September 30, 2013

Heart of Flesh

I'm ugly.

Not physically. Well, I might be physically ugly as well, but that is not what I am referring to. I am talking about where it really matters--the heart. 

I came to a harsh reality last night--I do not love lost people. I say I do. You know, in my small group and within my Christian circles. I mean, that is why I do children's/youth ministry...because I am "passionate about sharing Jesus" And, that isn't a lie. I am passionate about sharing Jesus with students. But, why? And, what about those who are over 18 years of age? What about my neighbors? Or, the person who is acting like a complete ass at the grocery store (Yes, I know I just used Jesus and ass in the same paragraph. And, now in the same sentence. Don't judge me!)? Am I passionate about sharing Jesus with them? Honestly, no. Often, I am too offended by their non-Christ-like behavior to want to share Jesus with them. 

And, that is the irony, isn't it?

Because of their non-Christ-like behavior. While I walk away, shaking my head, displaying my own non-Christ-like behavior. Ugh! 

Jesus came to "seek and save the lost" (Luke 19:10). What if Jesus had shook his head and walked away from Peter, Matthew, John, the woman at the well, the adulteress in the street, or.....me? What compelled Him to eat with sinners and tax collectors? What compelled Him to spend every waking minute teaching His disciples and commissioning them to carry on His work? 

Love

Jesus loved the Father and He loved us. He wasn't passionate about saving those who were lost for His own glory or because He knew God's way was better. He was passionate about saving the lost because He loved them. His heart broke for them because He knew they were far from God. 

I want a heart like His. I want my heart to break for the lost and for the injustices in this world. I want a heart that longs to seek and save the lost--no matter how far out of my comfort zone that pushes me. 

Lord, break my heart for what breaks Yours--then, give me the passion and courage to act upon that brokenness. Give me a new heart and put a new spirit within me. Remove from me my heart of stone and give me a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 36:26) In the Name of Jesus I pray. Amen!

"Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like you have loved me

Break my heart for what breaks yours
Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity"
-Hillsong United

No comments: